Hey, I have read few articles online on pre-viva tension and now I believe I’m experiencing the same. The point is, my doctoral viva is planned following 3 months, so fundamentally got a less time to get ready. So, I am pretty nervous and tensed as what will happen? So that’s why reading all these articles and it’s adding to my nervousness. Please help me to bring some positivity and also tell me some points so that I can manage such state of my mind. Any tips for preparation will be valued. Much appreciated.
I would advise you to stay positive and indulge in activities that bring positivity in you. Keep yourself motivated, confident about your thesis. Confidence is the key, if you are confident about what you have written you can easily answer any question asked.
Tips for preparing for the viva
1) Check the policies and practices of your university.
2) Read your thesis, again and again, stay up-to-date with research
3) As an examiner, you tend to stick to things you’re an expert in when driving the questioning.
4) Think about what you will or won’t defend.
5) Draw up lists of possible questions.
6) Take a printed copy that is exactly the same as that of your examiners.
Get off to a good start, Prepare for the icebreaker, Silence doesn’t mean bad news, Don’t point out your own weaknesses, Don’t talk like a politician, The questions may move from friendly to complex ones so be prepared.
These are the key points you should keep in mind while you are giving your viva.